A long running phone scam seeking payment for false warrants, overdue IRS payments and non-appearance for jury duty has surfaced again. This time, the caller poses as a Sheriff’s Officer, provides a name and threatens arrest if no payment is made. A false callback number is provided for residents to provide the pre-paid debit or Green Dot card number.
Crime Prevention Tips to Help Avoid Falling Victim to this Scam:
- Legitimate law enforcement agencies will not tell people to provide money card information to avoid arrest.
- Be suspicious of callers who demand immediate payment for any reason.
- Never give out personal or financial information to anyone who emails or calls you unsolicited.
- Never wire money, provide debt or credit card numbers or Green Dot Money Pak card numbers to someone you do not know.
- Remember that anyone who has the number on a Green Dot Money Pak card, has access to the funds on the card.
- If you have received a phone scam call, try to gather names, the phone number and location given, and report it to your local police.