The Morris County Sheriff’s Office is advising the Morris County community to be aware of a continuing phone scam that is targeting residents of Morris County as well as communities nationwide.
Sheriff James M. Gannon said, “In the most recent calls, the caller and/or message will identify themselves as an employee of the Morris County Sheriff’s Office Civil Processing Unit, and demand for a number not associated with our agency to be called immediately. In the event these fraudulent calls are received, residents should never give their personal or financial information over the phone. The Morris County Sheriff’s Office will never solicit methods of payment and/or personal identifiers over the phone.”
In 2017 and January of this year, similar scams surfaced posing as officers seeking personal information and Green Dot MoneyPak cards for false warrants, overdue IRS payments and non-appearance for jury duty. Residents should notify their local authorities should they receive these calls.
All agency information and contacts can be accessed and verified through this website.
Any suspicious calls regarding a civil service process can also be directed to 973-285-6600 during the day and 973-285-2900 after hours for verification of agency personnel.
Crime Prevention Tips to Help Avoid Falling Victim to this Scam:
- Legitimate law enforcement agencies will not tell people to provide money card information to avoid arrest.
- Be suspicious of callers who demand immediate payment for any reason.
- Never give out personal or financial information to anyone who emails or calls you unsolicited.
- Never wire money, provide debt or credit card numbers or Green Dot Money Pak card numbers to someone you do not know.
- Remember that anyone who has the number on a Green Dot Money Pak card, has access to the funds on the card.
- If you have received a phone scam call, try to gather names, the phone number and location given, and report it to your local police.
Report tips and remain anonymous by contacting the Morris County Sheriff’s CrimeStoppers at 973-COP-CALL or www.copcall.org from your mobile device. NO ONE WILL ASK YOUR NAME!